Saturday, February 23, 2013

You want HOW much for that???

I recently saw a post on Pinterest for a DIY wine rack made out of a pallet, and I LOVED it! After all, you can get pallets for free (as in $0) from most home improvement or warehouse-type stores, and as much as I crave a good bargain, getting something for free makes me absolutely giddy! The guy at Lowe's even loaded 4 of them into my van for me a few months ago for a table project I was doing.

As I coveted the aforementioned wine rack, I remembered that I still had an extra pallet out in my garage. The project sounded easy enough, so I decided to tackle it for my husband's Valentine's Day present. We're bursting at the seams in our small house, so I'm a big believer in practical, stylish space-savers, and our existing wine rack just took up a lot of unnecessary space.

This turned out to be one of the easiest projects I've ever done, and it looks great! Including staining & mounting it to the wall, it took me about 2 hours from start to finish. And as I already had all of the materials, it cost me nothing to make. Zip, zero, nada....

Oh, and someone is selling these "made to order" wine racks on Etsy. They look EXACTLY the same as the one I made. See the post here.

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

And they are charging $80 plus shipping. SAY WHAT???

Ok. Here are the directions for your free (or extremely cheap, if you don't already have all the materials) wine rack.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
1 wood pallet
Screws
Stain or paint
Sanding block
Hammer
Drill
Saw (my corded, hand-held reciprocating saw worked great!)
Wine bottles to put in your new wine rack!

DIRECTIONS:
Make sure your wood is dry & free from bugs, and saw across about the top 1/3 of the pallet (it's easy to see what I mean from the picture)
You'll also need to remove two boards from the remaining pallet, using your hammer to pry them off. One board is to attach to the bottom of your wine rack & one will attach to the back (behind where the bottoms of the wine bottles would go).
Use your drill & screws to attach the two extra boards.
Now, sand your wine rack. If you want it completely smooth, go for it, but I just focused on the sides & corners because I like the "rough wood" look for stuff like this.
Stain or paint whatever color you like & let it dry.
Now hang it on the wall- you can use whatever method you like to mount it. I used extra-long drywall screws to drill right through it into the studs, so that puppy isn't coming down for anything!
Load up your wine bottles & you're good to go:)










No comments:

Post a Comment